June 18, 2008

ADD & Clothing

Posted in ADHD, External Links, Goal Setting, Organization, Posts by Renee at 10:23 pm by bloggingawayadhd

I have what I’d call a medium number of clothes. Not a ton, but my drawers are full. I realized the other day that I probably only wear about 25% of my clothes, and I spend a lot of time sifting through the other 75% of my clothing looking for the 25% I want to wear. And the only time the other 75% gets worn is when I haven’t done laundry in a while! (Which does happen fairly often)

Does anyone else have this issue? I didn’t even realize it was an issue until I had to try on 3 pairs of jeans that didn’t fit before getting to a wearable pair today.

I’ve gained about 10 lbs in the last year, mostly in my stomach and thighs, so it really affects how my jeans fit. However, I don’t want to throw away my smaller jeans because I plan to lose weight – but as you know from my other posts, exercise is one of the first things I tend to procrastinate!

ADDers tend to be messy and be “pack-rats”, right? I think that applies to my messy clothes collection. Sometimes I go weeks without being able to find a certain shirt, only to find it in the bottom of the laundry basket of clean clothes sitting next to my dresser because the t-shirt drawer is too full to unload the basket, or because I don’t like going through my drawers looking for clothes when it’s easier to leave them in the basket, then dump it out onto the bed when I need them. It would probably be even easier to have organized drawers!

So I have another big plan – I’m going to clear out all of the clothes I don’t like or that really don’t fit, and give them away, and only save my few favorite pairs of smaller pants for if I actually do lose weight, and clear out the rest. There’s no reason for me to have 10 pairs of pants in my drawer if only 5 fit! Same goes for the shirts, shorts, etc. – I think I can get rid of about half of my wardrobe. (A lot of it is old t-shirts I save for “memories” but I decided to put them in a box and maybe make a blanket out of them one day instead of filling up my t-shirt drawer with size S shirts from 8 years ago…)

I also decided I’m going to stop unbuttoning my jeans when I’m sitting around the house. Maybe if I’m uncomfortable in my clothes, I’ll be more likely to exercise and lose weight and less likely to want to spend money on new pants that are bigger…. or I might just be more likely to walk around the house in pajama pants all day :)

Either way, I’m going to organize my clothes and get on track to lose a size and fit back into the ones I wore last summer! I’ll save money, be forced to do laundry regularly, be healthier, and be less cluttered that way!

Advertisements

2 Comments »

  1. […] Posted in ADHD, Goal Setting, Organization, Posts by Renee, Progress, Self-Therapy at 8:14 pm by bloggingawayadhd Yay, I finally cleaned out my closet and dresser, like I said I wanted to about a week ago. […]

  2. Andrew said,

    I have the same exact problem too, and did what you described a few months ago, and I already need to ‘refresh’ this task once again, but it was worth the effort.

    Best of luck,

    Andrew


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: